March 31, 2010

Viva, Las Vegas Day 3....wait, Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon

We got up early on Wednesday and traveled to the famous Hoover Dam.

This statue is made of copper and if you rub it you are suppose to have good luck. The feet of the statue have been rubbed so much that the copper shows through the tarnished statue.


A view from the Nevada side.


Looking down from the Nevada side.


This is a building of some sort that is built right into the rock. It looks like there is a road going into the rock too. I would not want to work here.


They are in the process of building a new highway so you won't have to go through the dam area anymore. It looks like it's almost complete.


This is a view of the dam from the Arizona side.


I don't know what these pillars are, but if you look at the rock you'll notice it has a white part. The water is sometimes that high and I've seen pictures of the water covering the bases of these pillars.


Another shot from the Arizona side.




And now onward to the Grand Canyon. We stopped for lunch and gas and realized we were on the famous Route 66. Allie recently sang a song in choir about Route 66, so we thought we should take a picture of her by the sign.
I almost broke both my cameras trying to get this shot. I set the timer, and as I ran to get myself into the picture, my foot caught the neck strap and pulled both cameras onto the cement. (This is after a nice man offered to take the photo, to which I declined saying that most people take blurry shots. But it's true and I didn't want to waste anymore time. It was cold out there. I'm sure the man had a nice laugh later.) Of course after we left I noticed that my hair is sticking straight up! Oh well, can't look great in every picture, right?
The sun was hiding and it was cold! Not the greatest time to see the Grand Canyon, but at least
we can say we've seen it.


I'm holding on for dear life, and I don't even look scared. : )

I was surprised to get a picture of Caitlyn cause she was so afraid of plummeting to her death.

The Canyon still had some snow cover.

It was beautiful in a different way.

Since the colors weren't as bright as I'd imagined they would be, I decided to shoot in black and white.



After about an hour and a half a the Grand Canyon, we were so cold we decided it would be better to sit in the car another 4 hours back to Las Vegas, but we had to stop for a picture at the Flintstones RV park. I love the Flintstones. Yabba Dabba Doo!

No comments:

Post a Comment